This til ki khichdi is regularly made in my home. I first came across a similar recipe on Monika's blog. Then I made this with my own variations and absolutely loved it and so did the family. This til khichdi is really quick and fuss free and is loaded with the comforting flavours of sesame seed and other spices. Not to mention how nutritious it is. Whether it is a lazy weekday or a weekend after when you are in mood to cook, this recipe really works well. Oh and I pack it in my kids' lunchboxes as well.
Here's the simple til ki khichdi recipe:
Til ki Khichdi
- 1 cup rice
- ½ cup moong dal skinned green gram
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
For til masala
- 4 tbsp. white sesame seeds
- 5-6 whole red chillies
- 10-12 black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp. cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp. coriander seeds
- To make khichdi, wash the lentils and rice well. Now cook them till well cooked in a pressure cooker with water and salt. I use double the water to the rice lentil volume.
- It takes about 4 whistles in a pressure cooker. You can cook in a pan as well.
- In a flat tava or pan, dry roast sesame seeds, peppercorns, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and whole red chillies. Then powder them in a blender.
- Add the masala powder to cooked khichdi with some water. Then mix well. This helps the masala to incorporate all through the khichdi.
- Before serving, heat ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds, heeng and grated ginger. Cook for a minute and then add to the til khichdi.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Your piping hot til ki khichdi is ready to serve.
Dry roast the spices. Since I had freshly prepared coriander powder with me, I did not roast that here.
The tempering to be poured over khichdi.
If you like this recipe, do share with your friends.