Adai dosa or Adai is a protein rich crepe like a dosa that is made with lentils and rice. It is from Tamil cuisine. My mother-in-law's sister aptly calls it Protein dosa. It is simpler than the dosa as it does not require fermentation. So just soaking the lentils with rice at night is enough. Grind the lentils in the morning and you have a delicious breakfast ready. Best of all, this is a really versatile recipe. You can vary the lentils used, can use millets in place of rice to suit your taste and dietary preferences. Here is the recipe I make most often at home:
📖 Recipe Card
Adai | Adai Dosa Recipe | Easy Recipe to Make Adai Dosa
- 1.5 cup dosa rice
- 1.5 cup mixed lentils tuar dal, urad dal, whole moong, masoor dal
- 1 inch piece ginger chopped
- 2 green chillies as per taste
- 1 pinch hing asafoetida
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- Few curry leaves
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. dill finely chopped optional
- 1 tbsp. coriander leaves finely chopped
- salt to taste
- Oil to fry
- Wash and soak the rice in water for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Wash and soak the pigeon peas (tuar dal), whole green bean (moong), orange lentils (masoor dal) and split black gram lentils (urad dal) in water for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Drain the rice and dals.
- Blend them to a thin batter with ginger, green chillies and curry leaves. Let the batter be of dosa consistency.
- Add salt, hing, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, chopped onion, dill (if using) and coriander leaves and mix well. Your batter is ready.
- Heat a tava and spread a little oil.
- Take the batter and spread it out just as you would a dosa. I prefer my adai dosa to be thin and crispy. You can make it thicker as per your choice.
- Serve it hot after cooking on both sides with coconut chutney or amla chutney as I sometimes do.
I do hope you try this recipe. It will be a good change from the regular dosa. Since we are using many lentils, the taste is quite nice and its nutritious value is higher too. A good protein and carbohydrate combination for your morning breakfast or evening snack.