Raita is a yoghurt preparation that is often served as a side dish with food. I make it often in varied ways. This boondi raita recipe is my husband’s favourite. Mine is cucumber or veg raita in case you were interested in knowing. Raita is incredibly quick to make, and you need good quality thick curd or yoghurt to make a good raita.
What is Boondi Raita?
Boondi are crispy balls made of chickpea flour (besan). You can make a batter of chickpea flour with water. Deep fry tiny balls of chickpea flour and set aside. Use it for making boondi raita. I end up buying boondi from the store. You can buy any good brand.
Good boondi must be crispy and must not smell of old or rancid oil. Taste them before adding to your raita.
Here’s how I make Indian boondi ka raita:
📖 Recipe Card
Boondi ka Raita Recipe
- 1 cup boondi
- 250. ml. curd
- ½ tsp. black salt
- 1 tsp. cumin powder roasted and ground
- ½ tsp. sugar optional
- 1 tbsp. cilantro- mint leaves finely chopped
- ½ tsp. red chilli powder optional
- 1 tsp. chaat masala
- salt to taste
- Whisk the curd till smooth say about a couple of minutes.
- Add black salt, cumin powder, sugar, chilli powder, chaat masala and salt together. Taste and adjust seasoning. You may add a little water/milk to thin down the curd but don’t make it too thin.
- Meanwhile prepare boondi by soaking in warm water for 5 minutes. Squeeze out the water and use the boondi. Add it to the spiced yoghurt.
- Keep it in the fridge for chilling.
- Just before serving, garnish with coriander leaves and mint leaves and serve immediately.
- Your tasty boondi raita is ready to serve.
- I buy store-bought boondi. Buy the one which is not spiced.
- Always use fresh and thick curd for raita. Sour curd will just not work well.
- Instead of water for thinning the curd, you may use milk. That enhances the taste of raita.
Your Indian boondi raita is ready to serve. It tastes great as a side to any Indian meal. I sometimes have it as is too.
Whisk curd in a pan.
Immerse boondi in warm water for about 5 minutes. Then squeeze out the water and keep aside.
Add the spices and boondi to whisked yoghurt.
Chill in the fridge. Garnish with chopped cilantro and mint leaves and serve boondi raita.
If you liked the recipe, I request you to give a * star rating either on the recipe or when you comment. Thank you.
Please do share with your friends.