I love Mexican Rice. It is flavourful and not very hot. It has a pleasant tomato taste with a chilli kick from jalapenos or any other hot chillies that you wish to use. You can easily make it in the rice cooker as I do or do it in a pan. Serve it with steak -- chicken or fish or some sauteed prawns and some grilled veggies on the side. Not in the mood for that, just have it as a one-pot meal. It tastes good in your lunchbox too. Made with few simple ingredients you will fall in love with this recipe.
Spicy Mexican Rice Recipe
- 2 cups rice I use sona masoori
- 2-3 green chillies or jalapenos
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 onion chopped
- 500 gms. tomatoes
- a large bunch of coriander leaves chopped
- 3-4 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock optional
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup corn kernels or chopped peppers
- Salt to taste
- Toast rice in olive oil on low flame for about 8-10 minutes till it is golden brown. Make sure you don't do it too vigourously. This keeps the rice nice and separate once cooked.
- In a blender, blend together onion, garlic, chillies and tomatoes. Add chicken stock (or seafood stock or water) to this blended mix. Bring it to a boil.
- Add this hot mixture to toasted rice in a deep pan or rice cooker. Add in the corn kernels. Add salt.
- Lower the heat and cover. Cook for about 15 minutes till the rice is well cooked but not mushy.
- Serve hot after adding lemon juice, garnishing with chopped coriander leaves and fluffing the rice a bit using a fork.
- Mexican rice is ready to serve.
This simple recipe of Mexican rice will become a hit at your home. It does not take long to cook or much prep. So what are you waiting for? Do try this recipe.
Do tag #rachnacooks if you make this and share pictures. I would love to know if you tried out this easy recipe.
Do you want a FREE 4 week Lunchbox Planner with different daily lunch ideas along with BONUS Snack ideas, all healthy and wholesome with recipe links? Get it here.