Aam ki launji Recipe | Sweet and spicy mango chutney
This is a tasty aam ki launji recipe. It is a UP style sweet and spicy mango chutney made with raw mangoes. It is super tasty and can be had with meals.
Servings 1 bowl
- 1.5 cup raw mango pieces peeled and cut lengthwise
- ¼ tsp. cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp. fennel seeds
- ¼ tsp. mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp. fenugreek seeds
- ¼ tsp. nigella seeds
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- ½ tsp. cayenne or red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp. garam masala powder optional
- 3 tbsp. sugar or jaggery
Wash and peel raw mangoes. Cut them into similar sized lengthwise pieces and keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and nigella seeds. Allow them to sputter for 30 seconds. Add the raw mango pieces and mix with the spices.
Add turmeric powder, cayenne, garam masala powder and salt. Mix well.
Now add in the sugar and mix well.
Add in about 3 tbsp. of water to form a watery sauce.
Cover and cook for about 10 minutes till the raw mangoes are soft. Your chutney would have thickened by now.
You can cook for a couple of minutes more if you want your aam ki launji to be thicker.
Take it off the heat. Store in an airtight jar in the fridge and enjoy with your meals.
- You can adjust the quantity of cayenne and garam masala depending upon how much spice you like. You can even eliminate them if you just want a sweet and tangy mango chutney.
- If your raw mangoes are very sour, you will need to add more sugar to cut the sourness. On the other hand, if you like your chutney less sweeter, reduce the sugar.
- You could use jaggery or brown sugar in place of sugar if you wish to avoid refined sugar.
- The chutney thickens more once it cools down. Accordingly vary your cooking time depending on how thin or thick you want your chutney to be.
- This easily lasts for a week in the fridge. You can keep it longer too if you make a bigger batch.
Calories: 615kcal | Carbohydrates: 87g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Sodium: 9mg | Potassium: 528mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 79g | Vitamin A: 3703IU | Vitamin C: 92mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 3mg