Matar ki Ghugni | Green Peas Chaat
This simple matar ki ghugni is made in UP especially when fresh green peas are in market. You can make it with frozen peas too. It's a tasty, quick snack.
Servings 4 people
- 1 cup green peas shelled
- 1 tbsp. mustard oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp. ginger grated
- 3-4 green chillies finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. coriander powder
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 tbsp. sev (optional) for garnish
- 1 tbsp. coriander leaves chopped
You can boil the peas in advance and keep. I prefer to cook them raw. Heat oil in a pan. Tip in cumin seeds and allow to sputter.
Add in the ginger and chopped green chillies. Saute for a minute. Then add green peas. Mix well. Cover and cook till peas are tender. I prefer mine a bit crunchy.
Add coriander powder and lemon juice. Adjust seasoning if needed. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves and sev.
- Fresh green peas work better here, but you can use frozen peas too. Use the tender, sweet variety.
- You can add chilli powder or chaat masala if you prefer it to be spicier.
- I serve with crunchy sev as my addition to the recipe. The traditional one does not include sev.
Calories: 141kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 374mg | Potassium: 744mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 5110IU | Vitamin C: 61.9mg | Calcium: 161mg | Iron: 7mg