Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter
Peanut butter is super easy to make at home. Try my delicious chocolate peanut butter with many tweaks.
Servings 20 1 tbsp. servings
- 2 cups peanuts skinned or roast and skin them about 300 gm.
- ½ cup Hershey’s cocoa powder or any unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup sugar or honey
- 1 tbsp. vanilla optional
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 tsp. peanut or olive oil
Make peanut butter
Now if they are not skinned, then you need to take the skin off by rubbing them in between your palms. This could take a good 10 minutes. Buying skinned roasted peanuts or skinned peanuts definitely saves time.
In a food processor or blender, blend for about 2 minutes. The peanuts go from getting crushed to a powder, then paste, a thicker paste then a ball of peanut.
Add salt, sugar, cocoa, vanilla (if using) and 1 tsp. oil. Blend morel till you see the peanut butter get all shiny and liquid. You can vary the quantity of sugar depending upon your taste. You can also use honey or maple syrup in its place. Add more oil if the peanut butter looks too dry and blend some more.
Overall I took just about 3-4 minutes of blending for my peanut butter to be ready.
- For an intense chocolate taste, use dark chocolate chips or bar in place of cocoa powder. Also remember to accordingly adjust the added sugar.
- You can use salted peanuts in this recipe or even honey roasted peanuts. Makes your work much easier. Do skip the salt in the recipe in case you use salted ones. I prefer raw ones because I can control the salt I consume but yes that makes the process a bit longer.
- Store in air tight jars on your table.
- You can also refrigerate this peanut butter and it gets a bit thicker yet spreadable on cooling. Mine has lasted two weeks on the kitchen table so it is pretty stable and does not separate.
- In case you find the oil separating from the butter just mix it again.
- Enjoy your delightful chocolate peanut butter. You can use it in sandwiches, smoothies, cookies, shakes and so on.
- For vegan version, ensure that your chocolate chips, bar or cocoa are vegan.
Calories: 109kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 5mg | Potassium: 109mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1mg