Roasted Makhana Snack Recipe
This delicious roasted makhana snack recipe is a wonderful and healthy any-time snack. It is also perfect as a fasting recipe during Navratri. Make in Air fryer or skillet.
Servings 4 people
- 2 cups phool makhana or foxnuts
- 2 tsp. ghee or clarified butter or olive oil for vegan
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp. pepper powder or cayenne
For Air frying
Preheat Air fryer at 200 C or 390 F for 3 minutes. Lightly brush the Air fryer basket with a little ghee or olive oil (for vegans).
Add your foxnuts or lotus seeds taking care to only fill the basket to less than half the volume.Or use a wire mesh or sieve on top of makhanas to prevent them from flying.
Air fry for 2-3 minutes at 390 F or 200C. Keep checking at 2 minutes. It is done very quickly and burn as quickly too. Once it is creamish or brownish, remove.
When hot, toss with your favourite seasoning mixed with ghee or oil and serve crunchy and tasty. Your roasted makhana is ready.
On skillet or tawa
Heat ghee in a wide-bottomed pan.
Keep on a low flame and add black salt and pepper powder.
Now add phool makhana or foxnuts and keep roasting makhana on low heat for about 8-10 minutes.
Keep turning them continuously till they turn golden brown and are crispy.
Now cool them down and store in an airtight container and consume.
- Keep watching out when making makhana in Air fryer. It cooks very quickly. You don't need to apply any oil to the foxnuts just the Air fryer basket.
- You must roast makhana on a low flame when doing on skillet or tawa.
- Do not crowd your pan too much.
- There is no need to use too much ghee, just use enough for dry roasting and for the spices to adhere to your foxnuts.
- Roasting with ghee gives a delectable flavour to your makhana.
- You can use normal salt if not using for fasting.
- You can try other flavour combinations eg. Chilli powder, chaat masala, peri peri powder etc. as per your wish.
- You can also make something on the lines of caramel popcorn, by using jaggery and roasting makhana in it for a sweet touch.
- Your roast makhana snack is ready to eat. Enjoy as a snack or anytime munchie. This recipe is perfect for Navratri when you are fasting.
Calories: 68kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 244mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 513IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg