1. Choose green zucchinis which are not too big. This is because we want the zucchini to be tender and not old and tough.
2. Scoop out the flesh using a spoon. Don’t use a knife as it will be uneven. Carefully scoop out all flesh to just leave the skin with a bit of flesh and a large cavity that you can fill with.
3. If you are using only vegetables for filling. You can cut them into small pieces and directly air fry the stuffing.
In case you are using lentils, beans, soy flakes, tempeh, tofu, paneer or minced meat, it is best to cook out the stuffing beforehand and let it cool down before stuffing the boats.
4. Use lots of cheese in this recipe. It makes the zucchini boats delectable. Use vegan cheese if vegan.
5. Use chopped onion, minced garlic and ginger and spices like cajun spice, peri peri spice or sauces like harissa, sriracha or chili garlic sauce for seasoning your stuffing. Just salt, pepper, garlic powder and some dried herbs work well too.
6. I prefer to precook the zucchini boats before adding the stuffing. I have found that the zucchini boats taste better this way.
7. This could be a great keto dish if you use only protein filling with cheese in zucchini boats. 8. In case you don't have an air fryer, you can make these in the oven. Instructions are provided.