1. You can use chicken cubes from either the breast or thighs. Make sure not to overcook them.
2. Always cut them into equal sizes for uniform cooking.
3. You can also use drumsticks or wings but adjust the cooking time accordingly.
4. Pepper can be excluded but I like my sauce to be punchy hence add it.
5. You can use half the marinade for making the thick sauce to drizzle over the done chicken. This is done by adding cornstarch in water along with sesame oil and adding it to the marinade. Heat it in a sauce pan or use this thick slurry to baste your chicken when it is cooking for a glossy glaze.
6. I like to make a thick sauce then I then drizzle over the done chicken
7. You could use mirin in place of rice wine vinegar.
8. If using artificial sweetener make sure that it is suitable to cook with at high temperatures.