Pongal is a type of khichdi that is very popular in Tamil Nadu. It is a delicious blend of lentils, rice and spices. Filling and nutritious, it makes for a perfect breakfast or brunch.
- ½ cup yellow Moong Dal
- 1.5 cups rice I use the local Sona Masoori rice
- 4 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- For the seasoning:
- 3 tbsp. ghee/clarified butter
- 1 tsp. jeera cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. coarsely pounded black pepper
- 1-2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped/grated ginger
- Fried cashews for garnish
Cook the washed dal and rice along with salt and water in a pressure cooker till well cooked.
Let the pressure release. The pongal must be mushy.
To serve, heat ghee in a tadka pan, add in the jeera and let it sputter. Add in the ginger, pepper and curry leaves and cook for a minute.
Now tip in on the Pongal, garnish with cashews and serve piping hot with raita or sambar as you prefer.
1. Always serve hot.
2. Authentic recipe calls for dry roasting/frying of dal before cooking it